Re: OT: HD Truck transmission swap basics (no MV - delete now if you must)

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 20:21:53 PST

Hi Mark,

My 85 GMC flatbed has a Detroit 8.2 turbo and it is geared so that it
runs about 3000 rpm at 60 mph. It has a 5 speed plus a two speed rear
also. I think a lot of trucks were geared that way with the 8.2 since
that engine needs to rev to make HP. From what I read after I got the
truck, they can run pretty much continuously at 3400-3500 rpm with no
problems at all. My engine is labeled for just over 200 hp at 3400 rpm
and since the truck weighs 12,500 lbs empty and has a GVW of 34,000 lbs,
it needs almost all 200 hp when cruising fully loaded at speed.

You could find a differently geared 2 speed axle, but you might be
looking for a while since a lot of the two speeds were geared in a
similar fashion. That would probably be the easiest swap.

The truck bellhousings are all SAE 2 or 3. The spicer 5 speed is a very
common transmission. I would go to a big truck scrap yard and tell them
  what you want. They have a lot of cross reference books and just
simple plain knowledge.

However, in my case, I just decided that was the way the truck was
designed, so I use it in a similar manner. I run about 60 mph on the
highway, which really isn't a problem in Indiana, and let the engine
sing. It has lived about 150,000 miles like this so far, so I hope I
can eeek another 50,000 out of it or so before it needs a rebuild.

Oh, another thing - it is perfectly normal for 8.2's to smoke a lot on
start up since they don't have glow plugs. Plug it in if it gets below
40 degrees or so - or plan on using ether and killing all of the bugs
within 1000 feet with the smoke. (:->) My block heater burned out - so
bug kills are the norm at my place.

Did you move the truck yourself from out west?

Dave