OT: HD Truck transmission swap basics (no MV - delete now if you must)

From: mark@ehle.homelinux.org
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 07:05:17 PST

Hello, Folks -

Sorry for the lack of MV content - delete now it you wish. Once again I turn to
the only truckers I know for help.

I have an '86 Ford C-8000 cabover single-axle tractor, 8.2 liter Detroit,
5-speed spicer and an Eaton 2-speed rear. It is an old Roadway city truck. I
want to pull a 5th wheel trailer with it.

It's a great truck but it spins over too fast on the highway, and I would like
to put an OD trans in it. I don't want any more than 60-65mph, but at that
speed, it is really turning fast. It doesn't have a tach, but my ears tell it
must be around 2800-3000rpm. For those who might be wondering if the rear is
shifting, it is indeed in high range.

My questions to those among you who would know about these things is: What sort
of transmission would I be best looking for to slow the engine down on the
highway in this thing? And, is there a standard set of dimensions for these
things such that HD transmissions all tend to bolt up the same way? I suspect
there might be, but I don't know where to look up such stuff.

I would rather change the trans instead of putting a new rear in it if I have a
choice. I have in a past life spent a lot of time wrenching cars and light
trucks, but I can't find basic info on heavy-duty trucks as far as what
transmissions fit what bellhousings, what engines, rears, etc.

Can some one give me a little primer as to what would fit this little tractor?

Thanks so much,

Mark Ehle