Re: Wannabe M35 Owner

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 16:57:48 PST

Derek,

It would be a great help to us to know where you reside or what areas you
can travel to obtain one if you find it.

I bought mine through e-bay several years ago. The price was right, for me,
and I had to travel about 150 miles each way to look at it. I then made the
same trip with a friend to pick it up. I got lucky and am extremely happy
with mine.

I think that almost any problems can be overcome if you or friends are
mechanically inclined. Some of the special tools that you see listed for
the trucks help make the repair jobs easier and faster but are not
necessary. Parts are readily available but be careful of NOS parts that may
have old age problems. I made this mistake with NOS crankshaft seals and
now with only a couple of thousand miles on the rear main seal have to
replace it. I haven't checked it to see how it failed but am making what I
consider a good guess.

As for the comment posted about the M35's being more fun than a jeep ...
well, I have both and have just as much fun with one as the other so I guess
it is a matter of taste. But, if you have the time, some money and a lot of
mechanical know how with the desire to play with the truck they are a blast.
When playing with the winch and other fun devices remember to have Soldier A
and Soldier B both in attendance and knowing and doing their jobs.

Mine is a multi-fuel that has not been messed with and I like having the
option to burn other fuels or at least telling people what little I know
about the system. I enjoy my truck but have to admit that a whistler turbo
would be neat as it makes a really cool sound and I understand has more
power which would come in handy here in the hills of W. MD.

If you buy one that has been sitting or has only made short hops in recent
years, I strongly recommend taking a good long trip with it as mine really
does seem to perform better during a long trip and under a load. Mine just
will not get to normal operating temp. unless it is running at least 50 mph
for an hour or so on the highway or going up the mountains (at a crawl) for
an hour or so.

Hope this helps you some.

Bill K.

MVPA