Re: *SPAM* history - flame on shields are up withnew anti-matter accessories - 1945 Marines raise the flag on Mt.Suribachi

From: Jay Travis (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 17:40:43 PST

I don't know about Roman chariots, but how about those of us who collect
future military vehicles? Not only is this a much cheaper form of the
hobby, but it is also easier to collect things that haven't been invented
yet. No EUCs, no Form 97s, no GL, and only a raised eyebrow from the boys
at DARPA who are curious to know just how your latest addition to the
collection works- and if you'd care to license it. Plus, there's no
worries about those pesky posts about future military history like the
American-Red Chinese War, and the second global invasion from space of 2039.

So until then, I guess we can enjoy the posts about previous military
actions, the men who fought in them and the machines they used. The way I
see it, if the operations are irrelevant that these machines are used in,
then the only point of collecting the equipment now is for either hauling
stuff around, or maybe hunting squirrels. (Nothing beats a good old German
88 as a squirrel gun- just pop off a few shells low over the forest, and
watch the trees fall right out from underneath'em, so they break their
necks from the fall. Also takes out the occasional possum, too. Isn't
that what the Nazis used them for back in WWIII during the 1960's? Oh,
wait, no, I know better. But with the state of public edumacatin today,
you might be surprised that some folks younger than I might not have such
basic facts of history straight, and they certainly are NOT going to get
them from schools where speaking the word "gun" is grounds for dismissal,
and they are taught "not to honor anyone for killing people." Maybe some
on this list could consider that just because THEY already know the details
of our history, that God didn't "miracle" it into everyone else and having
this list is one more place where some of those younger people might be
able to benefit from being reminded of the sacrifices of those who went
before them. Who knows; maybe it might even inspire them to fight to defend
us against the Red Chinese in the next war, or those pesky aliens in 2039?