Re: 6.2 M1009 CUCV fuel cap.

From: Bruce C. Beattie (bruce@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 18:34:41 PST

Ok, I think I have the solution to this problem.

Get one of those pins used typically to secure ball hitches.
They are a chrome plated rod about 1/4 inch diameter, one end has a
partial taper for ease of insertion into a hole, the other end is bent
at a right angle and about an inch or so long.

If you look at the bracket that attach es to the end of the fuel fill
pipe you will see that it is "U" shaped
and has to sheet metal sides.

Position the fuel cap so that the bar grip is horizontal.

Now get a drill bit that will fit inside that "U" (preferably as close
to the diameter of the pin) and rest on the bar grip where it meets the
cap..

Slide the drill bit over so that it hits one side of the "U" and mark.
slide it the other way and mark.
Drill the two holes that you made the mark for that will fit your pin.

Now slip the pin in from the rear threw both holes. Should be easy to
get to from the wheel well if
you have an M1008. Don't know about the M1009.

Once the pin is in place, you shouldn't be able to turn the cap.

Now mark the pin just to the left of the right side. This will be a
hole for a tiny padlock.

Now make a mark just to the right of the left side. This will be for one
of those pins that look like a piece
of tube that has a slit all along one side and is some kind of spring
pin where you drive it into
the hole and it stays there. I just can't remember what you call them.

Now go and get a Tiny padlock and one of those pins.

Drill the appropriate size holes for those .

Put the big pin in place and test to see that the lock fits.

Then drive the little pin in and you are done.

The little pin is just to keep the big pin from coming out all the way.

Hope this helps someone.

Bruce MVPA 23824