Re: Irrelevant postings "Citizens for a CARC-free America"

From: m35prod@optonline.net
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 17:02:27 PST

I am sorry, sir, but you are partially incorrect.

The pronoun OBJECT of a preposition is always the OBJECTive case. (me, us, him, her, them) not the subjective case (I, we, he, she, they). In the example cited, the preposition is "to" and the objective case first-person pronoun ("me") is required.

To determine the proper case of a pronoun, (subjective or objective) you can use a quick handy technique.

Remove the "other" noun, and just say the sentence aloud with the "I" or "me."

As follows:

"...that you not refer to "I" as a bonehead." NO. Sounds weird.

"...that you not refer to "me" as a bonehead." YES. Sounds OK.

You are correct that I should have had the good manners to have put my friends first and ME second. But think of it as an officer, leading and protecting his fellow boneheads...er...men, who follow. (Military content)

The period does, indeed, go within the quotes, according to the standard rules. I have always had a problem with that, however. How would you print the following sentence?

Did you say "I hate strawberries?"

(Or) Did you say "I hate strawberries!"?

(Or) Did you say "I hate strawberries!?"

(Or how about) I repeat: Did he ask "Did she tell you that they said 'We hate strawberries!'??."

APB, Grammar Police, (ret)

Nulla Tenaci, Invia Est Via
www.SIBTA.com