Re: Off Topic * questions about 1968 M-51 MV

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 17:08:08 PST

The M51's - not the A2's came with R6602 Continental 602 cu in gas
engines. They are very high quality engines but they burn a lot of gas.
  The A2 version has a Multifuel/Diesel Engine.

There was a M51 gas truck with a Plow on Ebay last year in Mid Wisconsin
for about $2000 and it did not sell. It was listed twice. If the truck
is in good condition and the plow is in good shape - it would not be
unreasonable for a business owner to pay $4000 or more for it if they
have a use for it. On the other hand it may go for $1500 or less -
depending on the audience. Remember that if it has decent commercial
tires on it - they can go for $200 each or more and the truck takes 10.
  That fact alone would likely push up the price. If the truck was in
decent shape I would expect to pay $2500 or more for it via a seal bid.
   Bidding less than that is probably a total waste of time. An M51
with a big plow will weigh about 25,000 lbs - so at $2500 that would be
10 cents a pound. Anyway you look at that - that is very cheap. If it
is a diesel - you can tack on a premium of up to $2000 or so. Much
more desireable.

The big question is - what is it worth to him? Sealed bids are a total
crap shoot.

Dave