Off Topic * questions about 1968 M-51 MV

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 08:33:18 PST

Hi all,

I am very sorry to have to ask military vehicle questions here but just
didn't know where else to check on this. <Evil Grin inserted here>

A total stranger to me (and hopefully to my wife) stopped by my home
yesterday afternoon while I was away and started asking my wife about my
Duece.

( A likely story, I think I had better investigate this further with the
neighbors. Today the mailman, garbage men, milk and bread men are acting
... well ... jealous.)
She gave him our phone number and asked him to call back in the evening or
sometime today.
****************
Well, he called a few minutes ago and advised that he is considering buying
a 1968 M-51 basically for clearing snow from his driveway as it is presently
set up for plowing snow in a town near him. And no, I do not know where he
lives just somewhere in PA. He called from WV. He further reports that he
couldn't stand the thought of someone buying it for conversion to a swamp
buggy or anything like that. I took an imediate liking to him and decided
to do anything I can to help him with this project.
****************
Anyway, his first question was what would be a good price to PAY (not sell)
for a running and in overall good condition M51 in the Mid-Atlantic area.
He is putting in a sealed bid for it.

It needs canvas, not sure if he meant all or just the cargo area.

My expertise stops, well ... short of ... uh ... pretty much ....
anything. Fairly good at napping and getting my bride P.O.ed but not much
more.

What engine should be expected to be original just in case it has been
modified?
Diesel?
Gasoline?
Multifuel?
McDonalds french fries?
Corn Squeezins?
**************
He does have a CDL.
**************
The truck aparently does run well and has been maintained (can't advise any
more than that) but at the time he looked at it the batteries were down too
far, from sitting to crank it over. He plans to go back on a warmer day and
see if they will start it for him.

The speedometer shows around 38,000 miles and I do not know what was on the
hours meter.

This gentleman is/was in the National Guard. Somewhat familier with the
trucks but not from working in the motor pool. He has an aquantence who was
a motorpool sgt. but has not been able to locate him recently.

I have his name and call back number and would appreciate any information
that you can pass along for me to give to him.

Again, sorry to take you all away from the "On Topic" stuff for these
Military Vehicle related questions. < Evil, Malicious Grin >

Bill Kealey w/wench (unless she sees that comment)
MVPA
1954 Willys USMC M38A1
1972 Am Gen USA M35A2 w/winch
1985 Turtle Mtn. USAF M105A2