Dodge M880 troubleshooting

From: mkmvpa@juno.com
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 17:47:44 PST

I have a 1977 Dodge M880. It has one problem that really annoys me and have been unable to fix. After it has been idling for along time during a parade the engine has trouble staying running at the low RPMs and when it does die it is difficult to restart. Then after all of this and I start to head home, I can have it floored and it won't make more than 30 MPH. I have some success when I pull the wire bundles loose from the firewall and every other connector under the hood, but don't think that is the whole problem as it runs better but stills has what seems some ignition weakness. The voltage regulator, ignition switch,alternator,ballast resistor, coil, plugs, plug wires, and engine wiring harness were all replaced a little over 2 years ago. The plug wires and coil are Accel and the plugs are Split-fires. All were new parts. This is not a constant problem but has without fail manifested itself during idle at slow speeds during a parade, I did note that the firewall disconnects for the wires running to the ammeter seemed burned and had melted the plastic around them during and inspection this last summer. I replaced both ends of the wire with blade connectors directly connecting each end to the corresponding end on the other side of the firewall.

If anyone has a good idea what might be happening please let me know.

Thank You,

Bob
MVPA#23437