Oil pressure problem

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 02:27:49 PST

A while back I posted a problem with my oil pressure. My HMMWV oil pressure
normally read 60 psi running and 30 psi at idle. It suddenly dropped to 30
& 15 psi. I took it to a shop and had them remove the sending unit and test
it directly from the engine and the oil pressure seemed to be fine. I then
had the gage itself tested and it turned out to be fine too. This pointed
the problem to the oil pressure sending unit. I replaced it with a new one
but it still didn't read properly. When it was idling or driving it seemed
fine but as soon as I got above 50 miles it would jump to 120 psi. After
further trouble shooting it turned out that the female plug that connects to
the sending unit broke when it was reconnected. One of the 4 silver
connector plates inside the female plug broke so it was not holding the male
end securely. The vibration caused the gage to give false readings. So I
replaced it with a new female plug. My oil pressure gage is finally working
properly again.

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice.

Darrell