Re: Dodge M880 troubleshooting

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 00:08:53 PST

Bob,

 I tend to agree with Jay on most points he made.
I agree the resistor is possibly part of the
problem. Normal SOP is to mount a second resistor
just above or below the factory mount in addition
to the spare you carry in the glove box.

  Regarding the Splitfire spark plugs...I used em
on my Harley (84 FLHT-C) and got rid of em after
two months of trial. Worked fine at speed but
loaded up at extended idle like you wouldn't
believe. AKA it ain't an aircraft engine or a
race car so go back to a stock plug and you've
eliminated one potential problem.

  Replace the ignition coil with a new one just
to be sure the coil is good. A cracked coil will
run fine when dry and cool but will fire
erratically when it overheats. Last item is check
the polarity of the coil wires, if the wires are
hooked up in reverse it will give you speed
problems over 30 MPH or so. The coil terminals
should be marked Positive and negative.

James Shanks
1985 M-1009
1998 IMZ 8.103