M1009 CUCV Trans trouble

From: m2116x6@comcast.net
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 06:59:30 PST

I’m having transmission trouble with the TH400 in my M1009 CUCV. Hopefully someone will recognize the symptoms. It started acting up last week. If you place it in drive and accelerate, it will slip briefly before engaging in first. The first to second shift occurs at about the normal speed range although it does not stay in second. It goes right into third gear too early. If you blink, you won’t know it was ever in second at all.

Shifting it manually works fine with no slippage in first. From a dead stop, if you start out with the gear selector in first gear then upshift to second anytime before its normal shift speed, it will upshift into second just fine. Upshift to drive for third gear and it goes into third fine.

Fluid level is fine and the color is cherry red. This trans was last overhauled about 60,000 miles ago. There is no trans fluid in the modulator. Vacuum is good.

What would make this act different between the drive position and shifting manually? Any help appreciated.

Jim