Re: M101 trailer weight capacity

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 22:48:44 PST

Thank you Dave for this info. This is a character of the bias tire that I
was not aware of.

I actually have a set of radials but I've kept the bias tires because I have
run-flats for them but not the radial. The cargo I carry is very heavy and
expensive. The last thing I want to see is the trailer flipping from a blow
out and spewing my merchandise all over the road. I figured that should a
tire go the run-flats will prevent this.

I have another question for you. What is the proper way to calculate the
weight load on the tires? From your reply is sounds like I might not be
doing right. It is my understanding that you add the max weight of the
tires and make sure the load doesn't exceed the combined tire rating. So if
each wheel has a max rating of 3,300lb that 6,300lb minus the load of
4,500lb (3,000 load + 1,500 trailer). That leaves an excess of 2,100 lb. I
thought this was more than sufficient safety cushion. If this is not right
please let me know. (I'm sure many of you trucker's can help me with this
one.)

I also want to mentioned that before I started doing this. I asked several
people who owns an M-101 trailer as well as people on this list was and what
was the risk of exceeding the weight rating? Most told me that with
military trailers, their weight rating is for off road but for HWY use you
can essentially double that.

I also replaced the shocks with a new heavy duty type and replaced the leaf
springs with one that has an extra leaf. I don't know if this increases
it's load capacity (Does it?) but I didn't do it for this reason. I did it
as an added safety measure. I also replaced the U bolts with new ones too.
I also know the axle rating is involved in this equation too but I don't
know enough about the M-101 axle's capability.

I've been towing a load, with my HMMWV, of approximately 3,000lb once a
month for over a year now. The distance I drive is 20 mile and almost all
of it on the HWY. I always try not to exceed 50 mph when I'm driving with
this load. I inspect the trailer after every haul and have not noticed any
damage. The only thing I have notice is that the inner side walls of the
tire occasionally rub against the trailer (this most likely occurs when I
hit a pot hole or a large bump) but it has been light and there has been no
noticeable loss of rubber on the tire. Anyway, the main reason I'm
mentioning this is to simply share my experience.

If anyone has anything useful to add, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

Darrell