Re: Roller

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 11:03:37 PST

Their purpose was to keep the front of the vehicle from becoming embedded in or hung up on a grade whose presence exceeded the entry angle of the vehicle by allowing (in theory) the front of the vehicle to "roll" up the grade until the front wheels could return to contact with the ground.

>From the Scout Car TM: "The roller mounted on the front end of the frame is provided for aid in maneuvering through ditches and holes. Two compressions springs, mounted on the roller support, act as shock absorbers."

In theory, this is a sound idea. In practice, I'm sure it wasn't long before they found that in many cases the roller (because of its relatively small size) was just as likely to embed itself in or get hung up on the grade if the ground was soft or consisted of rocky ledges, creating as many, if not more problems in extrication. I imagine is why they went the way of the Dodo but hey, I wasn't even around then.

TJ