Re: Solargizers

From: Bruce C. Beattie (bruce@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 17:35:18 PST

Hi Henry,
He probably still has some. why don't you just get another one and then
you wont have to worry about
switching them back and forth. I think they are definitely worth it.
I am not sure how they work, so I can't really say if parraleling them
will work. My gut reaction to this
is that they wont. They may appear outwardly to work, but may not be
doing a good enough job.
Bruce

ygmir wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
> In the directions, it shows hooking it in series for 12 or 24 volt,
> depending on the batteries, or, single for a 12 volt. I'm just
> wondering if I can hook several in parallel, so they remain 12 volt,
> and, get the same effect. It shows even 3 for 36 volt.
> I removed the ends and replaced them with clamps, so I can put it on
> different batteries, and vehicles.....
> They seem to work fine that way, the led light comes on,
> anyway.......... if it's in the direct sun.........
> I'd just like to be able to keep several batteries de-sulfated without
> switching the connections, like doing about 4. If this won't work, I
> guess I'll just move it from time to time.........
> Thanks for the input.
> Henry
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce C. Beattie"
> <bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu>
> Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:13 AM
> Subject: Re: [MV] Solargizers
>

>> Hi Henry,
>> The ones from Gene were 24 volt solargizers witch spanned two
>> batteries connected in series, If I
>> remember right. The instructions that came with them made a big point
>> of not
>> altering the leads between the control cube and the batteries.
>> Although you could do all the splicing
>> you wanted between the cube and the solar collector.
>>
>> Bassed on that, I would be hesitant to alter that configuration
>> without first checking with the manufacturer
>> to find out what the critical parameters were. Ofcourse you may run
>> into the whole thing
>> where they want you to buy more solargizers, so they say you can't
>> make alterations. But I think in this
>> case there is probably a legitament reason for not altering the
>> configuration.
>>
>> Bruce
>> ygmir wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'm wondering if I can use the wonderful Solagizers I got from Gene,
>>> to maintain more than one battery at a time, if they are wired
>>> parallel, so they are still 12V?
>>> If so, would I hook the positive to the pos. on the first battery,
>>> and the neg. to the last?
>>> And, do they work/are they necessary, on gel batteries?
>>> Making sure MV content is here:
>>> I'd sure like to keep these batteries ready to start my MV's...........
>>> Also, how do you tell if they are 12 or 24V? I know they are
>>> supposed to sense the voltage, but, it says you can get models for
>>> each. Is it the size of the solar panel?
>>> Thanks,