Re: M1009 CUCV problem

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 20:51:10 PST

I agree,

  As an example Railroad Locomotives use a
slo-blow fuse in the starter circuit BUT it is
only there in the event water leaks into a
cylinder and causes hydraulic lock ( engine stops
and won't turn over further as water is not
compressible. Fused at 800 amps for dc generator
equiped locomotives and 400 amps for newer bendix
style starter equiped engines. By the way the
bendix stater equiped engines use TWO starters in
series at 64 volts dc cranking power and fuilly
charged locomotive batteries are stong enough to
weld withwith the engine shut down.) after the
engine stops rotating it will blow the fuse
about 2 seconds after the engine stops rotating.

    Replace the starter relay under the dash like
I wrote earlier and no more problem.

James Shanks
1985 M-1009