RE: Alvin York

From: Hutterer, John (MPAU) (john.hutterer@smiths-medical.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 05:53:12 PST

Rick,

We have a SGT York AAA SP Gun at our museum. I have heard two stories
about why it was not put into service. One story says that the system
was completely inaccurate and could not be depended upon. The other
story says that it was very accurate, but used ammunition so fast that
it couldn't be adequately supplied. Any idea which story is true? I
haven't look too closely at the system, but I do know that the "gunner"
had to crawl into the rear of the turret, through a small set of double
doors. He was wedged into a very small space with his back against the
doors and the computer screen and controls jammed into his chest. As I
understand it, the rest of that huge turret was the auto-loading
mechanism for the guns, and the ammunition storage, plus all of the
electronics that were needed for the radar systems. I think that the
turret only held a couple of hundred rounds of ammunition, but I haven't
looked at the manual so I can't say for sure. Anybody know what the real
story is on these things?

John