6TL Battery - Fix bad cell/Replace battery or buy your battery - Western Michigan

From: Lee Houde (houdel@carrinter.net)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 10:52:12 PST

My new Deuce came with two fairly fresh 6TLMF (maintenance free?)
batteries (green case). One is good, one has a bad cell. I checked both
with my battery hydrometer, on the good one all the cells were
1.275-1.300 S.G. The bad one had one cell at >1.100 S.G., the rest of
the cells were all 1.275-1.300 S.G.

Is it possible to repair/rejuvinate a bad cell in a 6TL? I'd hate to
trash an otherwise excellent battery because only one cell is bad. Is
there anyone in Western Michigan that can do that?

If not, does anyone know of a reasonably priced source in Western
Michigan for good reconditioned 6TLs? My preferred search area would be
between Traverse City, Clare and Grand Rapids.

Or, does anyone in my general area have a decent used 6TL they will part
with? I can drive 100 miles or so to pick it up.

I'm pretty much out in the sticks here, the closest "Big City" is about
25 miles away with a population of 14,000, so I don't have much to
choose from locally. There are two local "auto parts shops", big my
garage is bigger than their stores. One of them does have a battery load
tester though!