Re: Solargizers

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 18:13:19 PST

The reason not to alter the wiring is simple. The warning is generic for
the public so that they do not call pulse and ask all kinds of silly
questions of their engineers.

The unit works as we know by causing a specific kind of pulse to be applied
to the battery.

Lengthening the leads appreciably can reduce the amount of 'high frequency'
energy and alter the waveform of the pulse reaching the battery because of
increased inductance of the wires and/or increased capacitance along the
wiring path if it is long enough or has enough bends. The battery is an
important part of the circuit as well, unlike a simple load like a light bulb.

Lengthening the leads with small, or even the same size, wire can decrease
the amount of current through the battery during the pulse due to
additional impedance now in series with the unit. A poor soldering job (or
wire nuts/crimp connections) causes unwanted extra resistance. If I am not
mistaken the battery maintainers of this type cause very short 20-50 amp
pulses with low rise and fall times. It's like hitting the crud with an
electric jackhammer. If you only tap the crud, it does not come off. you
have to smack it but good. Additionally, it is possible that if you string
the wires out 15 feet, the unit might generate unwanted electrical noise.
Therefore do not alter the wires to the battery unless you know exactly
what you are doing. And they won't tell you what you are doing, betcha.

Find me the patent number(s) and I can probably tell more.

PJ