28VDC gasoline generator found

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2006 - 18:45:11 PST

Hello list,

I came into posession of a 1958 military "Winpower" generator:
model G-1528-2A06-1.

Here's what I know about it:

It's mounted in a tubular frame. Unit is in good condition. After checking
that it turned freely, changing the oil and fiddling with the makeshift gas
tank someone had attached, I got it fired up. It seems to run fine, holds
RPM, does not smoke, and does indeed generate an adjustable 27-32VDC (I was
able to load only to 20A as I have no other load handy). Starts
electrically off 24V battery or by rope pull. I tested only the electric
start method and not the pull-start, not because I am lazy but because the
jumper cables and deuce were handy and I would have had to walk across the
shop to get the rope.

I got all the manuals from LOGSA and did PMCS as best I could. During PMCS
and testing, I noticed these things it would need to be 'correct':

1. The original fuel pump is present but not plumbed in, probably needs
rebuilt.

2. No idea where the original fuel tank, if any, may be

3. Needs the little rubber boot covering the governor linkage passage
replaced, it's missing and there is a resulting small amount of oily spray.

4. no air filter or intake adapter, meaning that there needs to be rigged
up one so that the valvetrain lubrication will work properly
"(6) Lubrication. Lubrication of the rocker and valve assemblies is
accomplished by drawing oil vapors from the crankcase into the cylinder
head assembly. ... On Model 2A016-1, the breather line is connected
directly to the air cleaner assembly. The vacuum in the breather line is
sufficient to draw oil vapors from the crankcase, up through the push rod
tubes, and into the cylinder head assembly."
This was done for testing by connecting a hose to the tubing and putting it
right in front of the carb intake -same difference)

5. no muffler, but it is surprisingly quiet anyway

6. The tool box is there, but separate. Not sure where it is supposed to
go, it does have holes for mounting screws. A nameplate says "circuit
breaker in tool box" but the breaker is mounted on the rear of the
regulator box.

7. carburetor needs needle and seat, as it dribbles out the air intake
after a while when the engine is off.

8. probably needs the oil changed again, it got dirty after about an hour,
most likely since the engine sat for so long, probably 15 years, not in
use, all the condensed water and old dirt from the old oil, etc. now
getting a good cleaning at the expense of the new oil.

9. There is missing a small sheetmetal cover for the hot cooling air
exhaust side of the engine, the carburetor side. seems to cool fine though.

3600RPM
1500WATTS
28VDC
53 AMPS

engine manual TM5-5827
2 cylinder
four stroke
air cooled
16 cubic inches
miltary model 2A06-1

new in 7/58
rebuilt 6/62

TMs:
LO_9-2805-257-12
TM_9-2805-257-14
TM_9-2805-257-24P
TM_ 5–6115-323-14

]]]]]]]]]

It'll be a good runner for a Korean or Vietnam era radio truck. I would
consider to sell it or trade it for a "small" diesel set with no major
problems (minor ones like I have listed are ok).

Patrick