RE: HMMMV glowplug questions:

From: Glenn Shaw (milspectruck@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 07:18:51 PST

Hi Art
The Glowplugs screw into the heads.

The Detroit Diesel 6.2 is an indirect injection diesel and the plugs poke
into the Precombustion chambers.

There are many removal methods and there is a tool made by Snap On and by
MAC that removes them almost always intact.

There is also the method where you remove the injector and reach in and
break of the swollen tip of the injector and remove it out the injector
hole. Then the glow plug will come out sometimes without the need for the
tool.

Lastly there is the method of removing the heads, which is needed if pieces
drop into the combustion chamber.

Also there is an article you can look up in PS Magazine where there are
instruction for FMS mechanics to make a tool up out of a piece of flat bar.
Make sure to replace the plugs with thermo self compensating modern plugs to
avoid this in the future.

Glenn
MVPA
MTANJ