Re: Restoring Rims

From: Paul Vandervort (pgv@mydb3.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 14:56:23 PST

Aaron

        It would be far better to have the wheels sandblasted with the tires
removed. Most likely there will already be rust where the tire meets the
rim. That is pretty typical of Jeep & trailer rims. If you don't do it
now, once you remove the tire you'll wish you had. Of course there is
the rare case where there may not be any rust there, but if your going
to put military style tires on it, do it now. With tube type tires, a
seal at the tire bead is of no importance other than keeping water out.

        The semi-gloss paint would be correct for it, that cammo job would be
fine for a later M416, but not for an M100. Putting a coat of the
semi-gloss would definitely help to prevent rusting in the meantime
until you get around to it's restoration. That cammo paint is flat and
will absorb moisture, hence rust. Remember, the original paint and
stenciling may still exist under that cammo, so when you do start
stripping it, you may want to take care and carefully remove the outer
paint coats and see if you can obtain the stenciling so it can be
reapplied when restored. I had to go through two coats of paint and
several different stencil jobs to get down to what was put on it first.

Hope that helps; ref: I just finished my M100 late last year.

Paul Vandervort
MVPA 437
MWMVA
INMVPA 007