Re: Fw: Update French MV Situation

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 22:00:02 PST

As to French products:

Since I work for a semiconductor company with a factory in Grenoble (one of
our many plants on the globe including more than one in France), I am in a
unique position to advise all "French-product-avoiders":

You need to get rid of your satellite/set top boxes, cellphones, TV sets
(especially that 50" plasma job), your computers -from servers to laptops
and all the infrastructure in between, including routers and ADSL or cable
modem, your GPS's, sattelite radios, and better check your home appliances
especially anything with a variable speed motor control in it.. anything
substantial with a USB or RS-232 port or a small high-pixel-count built-in
camera is especially suspect as is anything with a voltage regulator or a
hard disk drive; Confidence is high that each of these electronics products
has at least one of my company's French-made products inside.

Are you willing to risk it?

To save time and eliminate any questions of how to purify your home of
these awful things, you may ship your electronics goods pre-paid to me (no
broken items please). fedex ground is cheap. Contact me offline for my
receiving address. I'll reserve some warehouse space.

I will donate them to poor families in my inner city neighborhood (of
course I may pick one or two from time to time for myself to cover my
expenses).

I should have saved this for April 1, now that I think about it. -but it's
all true. We do today live in a world where any product may contain parts
made in any place on the globe. Avoiding a product stamped as "from a
certain place" guarantees nothing in terms of ultimate product avoidance.

Patrick