Re: Unimog insurance problems (Maine)

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 07:01:59 PST

Hello Arthur,

> Are you talking about full coverage? Liability only? Fire & theft?
> Collision? What level of liability? $100/$300K? That would be the
> minumim I
> would have,

I didn't even ask what the coverage amount was because I was in shock.
It was for liability and collision. The point is, that was my single
"take it or leave it" option, which just doesn't sit well with me.

> and $1300 doesn't seem out of line.

As I said, I currently have THREE vehicles with equal or greater
coverage for just about the same amount of money. In another state
$1300 is probably a bargain, but up here everybody I mentioned it to
had their eyes pop out in surprise. So relative to my other insurance,
it's an incredibly large difference. I was guessing around $600 due to
the weight.

> You can register it as an
> historical vehicle, and pay about $350. That would, however, limit
> your use
> of the truck.

Limit it to the point of uselessness, unfortunately, so that isn't an
option. The insurance quoted was for either commercial or agriculture
(they won't do passenger due to the weight), so no difference based on
how I register it. I might save money on the registration itself, and
perhaps don't need a CDL (checking into that Monday), but it apparently
doesn't change my options vis a vis the insurance company.

> A CDL is not required to drive a vehicle with air-ASSISTed brakes, any
> more
> than it would be required for vaccuum-assisted brakes. The key word is
> air-over-HYDRAULIC. That means that the brakes still work
> hydraulically even
> if the air supply fails. Tell them that.

Apparently this is not the case in Maine. I was first tipped off by a
friend who is a commercial tower and he said I'd need one. Not
believing him, I called down to the head office and was told the same.
But I'm not done since I still don't believe them. On Monday I'm going
to call down again and this time request they direct me to the exact
paragraph in the motor vehicle code that specifies that air assisted
brakes are worthy of a CDL.

> How did the subject come up in your discussions with the Dept. of Motor
> Vehicles?
> Did they ask you, or did you offer the info? You need to say
> nothing and offer no facts when dealing with the state-sanctioned Mafia
> known as the DMV. Nowhere else is your right to remain silent more
> useful.
> Go to another office, and this time, let them do the talking.

Very bad advice. Two reasons:

1. Ignorance is no excuse. If I'm pulled over and someone figures out
that I need a CDL, I'm busted. Period. It won't matter if old Harlan
down at Augusta DMV didn't remember to ask me what kind of brakes it
has. I'm supposed to know that I need a CDL. First time I get busted
I can probably talk my way out of it, but since I live in a small town
my chances that it is the same cop is about 1 in 4. So might as well
get it if I need it.

2. Insurance companies love technicalities. If I get into an
accident, and I don't have the required license to drive the Mog, guess
what? My insurance company will null and void my coverage, arguing
that I was not legally allowed to drive the vehicle and therefore am
not covered under the policy since it only covers legal drivers. I'll
be on my own to face whatever liability resulted from my accident. All
the money I spent on my insurance would not be refunded either.

I've had enough experience with insurance companies (the state
regulated Mafia) to know, for a fact, that they always wind up winning.
  Doesn't even matter if they are within the law. If they want to screw
you (and they generally do) they will. Giving them an excuse like an
incorrect driver's license is equal to dropping your drawers and
bending over before they even tell you that was what they had in mind.
Apologies to any insurance folks on this list... but I have good reason
to say these things.

The thing is I don't care about the CDL. It's $35 and a written test.
Despite the surprise it isn't a big deal, especially when it is put
next to the risks of not getting one. The big deal is the insurance
cost, which has nothing to do with needing or not needing a CDL.
That's what I'm trying to find a way around.

Steve