RE: {**Possible UCE**} CUCV Starter

From: Glenn Shaw (milspectruck@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2006 - 06:21:12 PDT

Stu is correct. Shims are only used as required. Most GM starters DO NOT
use a shim. It may or may not be marked re. shim required. It is possible
that Dennis' truck had a shim originally and it has been lost or removed
somewhere along the line. They are avail at any Chec/GM dealer. Another
issue is whether or not he has installed the front support bracket and if
not if the starter is flexing and loosening the remaining bolts. Then too
the starter may have more issues with the solenoid/engagement drive. Unless
I liked pulling the transmission to replace ring gears I would replace the
starter with a new or known good one, check for proper engagement re. shims
and make sure the front bracket is in place and all bolts are tight and
locktighted.