Re: Unimog insurance problems (Maine)

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2006 - 11:45:57 PDT

Arthur is correct (hope it doesn't go to his head <g>). If it looks
like a duck and is doing duck like behavior, it doesn't matter if it
quacks like a duck. To the observer it is a duck and that's that.

I've grown up in a family environment of "loop hole" finders. I used
to think my grandfather was the king of twisting the system to his
benefit and was in awe of every scheme he told me about. Well, when he
died and the IRS took an interest in his estate I found out exactly how
bad he ultimately was at the shell games. Gray areas and loop holes
rarely work out if the authorities decide to challenge them, especially
since he REALLY WAS trying to skirt the law. This is why I try to play
by the rules as much as possible (yeah, I do skirt them sometimes). It
doesn't guarantee a hassle free and just experience within the rules of
law (especially when dealing with insurance companies), but the chances
are MUCH greater than if you purposefully try to operate "outside the
box".

BTW, quick message to Jeff. Honestly, I don't think people are really
jumping on you personally. I know I certainly was not. You put forward
an interesting concept, with caveats, and that's all. Nothing wrong
with that. Having said that I think it is a totally reckless and
incredibly stupid thing for someone to actually do, but hey... if
someone wants to put their liberty at stake to save a few bucks...
whatever. I don't care since I'm not the one who will go to jail if
the gamble fails. But if said person gets busted and legislation is
enacted to ban military vehicles because they are a risk to Homeland
Security, well... I'll have something different to say about the matter
:-)

Steve