Re: Exploding paperweight costs teacher his hand

From: Marty Galyean (marty@heavyreckoning.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 23:29:52 PDT

bolton8@juno.com wrote:

> Back when I was instructing OCS students on improvised demolition and
>booby-traps, I would always tell them "NEVER touch or handle any of my
>inert training aids . Some of them may be ert."

So a conceal carry license holder isn't supposed to carry within 1000
yards of a public school, but a teacher can pack a live 40mm round?

Likely he was told it was inert at the garage sale or wherever he got it
and he took that as a solid fact. Losing part of his hand sounds way
too grievous for a primer only blast, but I don't know anything about
40mm primers going off in a case with no chamber support.

Could a primer only have taken off part of his hand? Anyone know? I
can't help but think that a full load would have shook things up more
with maybe some students up front catching some of the blast. I'd
imagine even a primer only blast would jackhammer a guy's hand pretty
bad in a 40mm round. Assuming the primers are proportionately larger;
I recall the 88 casings I've seen had huge primers.

I guess the kids learned a real lesson that day. Who says teachers
don't teach real life skills? They will never forget the moral of that
story.

Marty