Update: Was running yesterday, now won't

From: Graham Wooden (graham@g-rock.net)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 07:17:43 PDT

Thanks to everyone that wrote in; I have ordered a fuel pressure switch
based on Stu's recommendations, it should be here in a few days.

I was able to get better idea on what's going on here. I got it narrowed
down to these two things:

1. When I crank it for approx 10-12 seconds, I go over to the fuel filter
base and undo the black screw on top and see air bubbles and diesel come out
the little side hose. So, somewhere there is the appearance of air getting
into the fuel system.

2. The truck won't start on it's own, what I use to get it started is a
diesel fuel additive - kinda like a Octane booster for gasoline. I put a
couple cap fulls down the intake and whoola - it starts.

With the installation of new glow plugs and the fuel pressure switch, do
think it will solve both of these? Maybe I won't know until I do change
them out and try again. If the "air in the fuel system" is not because of a
faulty fuel pressure switch, where can I start looking?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to think and write in about this. Very
much appreciated. I am in a mad dash to get the truck suitable for the
drive to Aberdeen in May.

-graham

mil-veh-off@mil-veh.org>