RE: 4HN Batteries - now group 29 battery-and another possibility

From: Hutterer, John (MPAU) (john.hutterer@smiths-medical.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 05:45:15 PDT

All,

My Dad suggested that I check with the local Exide distributor. He told
me that he had bought a couple of "seconds" from them and that they
worked just fine. I called the distributor and was told that they had
discontinued that practice, but that they did sell their "seconds" to a
local wholesaler, who would sell them to the public pretty cheaply. I
called the guy and he told me that he had several pallets of brand new
batteries that had been intended for use in new Chrysler cars, but that
Exide had sold them to him because Chrysler had not built quite as many
cars as it had anticipated. (In other situations, the term "seconds" is
applied to batteries that have sat on a retailers shelf for 6 months
without selling. The distributor takes them back and replaces them with
fresh stock.) I went to his warehouse and found that he did, indeed,
have several pallets of brand new 750 CCA batteries. I think that they
are group 34. I bought 6 of them and wired them up to fit into the twin
battery boxes on my M816 wrecker. They work great and give me almost
double the CCA's of the four 6TL's that were in there. They are lighter
and easier to handle, have more CCA's than 6TL's, and at $28 each are a
whole lot cheaper. I paid $168 for the six of them, which isn't a whole
lot more than some people have paid for one 6TL. I live in Minnesota,
but I would assume that something similar would be available in other
locations. Might be worth looking into.

John