Veterans Appreciation Day

From: Ed (mojoedd@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2006 - 13:04:10 PDT

Saturday April 29th from 0900 until 1600 or later we will be having our 2nd
annual Veterans Appreciation Day at the Veterans Museum in Gaffney South
Carolina. This event is once again sponsored and hosted by American Legion
Post 109 and the Cherokee County Veterans Museum. Our Museum is open every
weekend from 0900 until 1100 on Saturday and from 1400 until 1600 on Sunday.
Please stop by and see what we have there, it has a lot more to see than you
think! Please stop by and see us.

There will be Soldiers in correct uniform from the Revolutionary War right
up through today's modern military uniforms. The weapons used to fight
these wars will be there as well as equipment, vehicles, radios, tents,
rations, photos, a UH-1H Huey, a T-37 Jet, a WWII Jeep with trailer and so
many other things there isn't room to list them in one email! Admission is
free to all and there will be plenty for all to see and do. If you are a
Veteran please wear your uniform or as much of it as possible, (mine seems
to have shrunk in the waist area), don't worry if it's only a shirt, jacket
or hat we would love to see you in it!!!! This is your day so come and
enjoy it! There will be concessions on site so there will be plenty to eat
and drink!

We are working on our Huey and hope to have it in good enough condition to
activate a radio or two and talk back and forth with members of the CARES
HAM radio operators group. The Members of CARES will be there to answer
your questions about becoming an Amateur Radio Operator. They will also
provide Emergency communications and warnings of approaching storms.
Several of their Members are qualified Weather Alert Personnel and they will
be most happy to answer your questions about that also.

Our Huey is still in the process of being restored but it has come a long
way since we started! The wonderful Folks with the Wings & Rotors Museum in
California have donated a ton of very badly needed parts to help us get her
into show condition. Pat, Shayne & the other wonderful Members out there
stepped in to help us and without them our Gal would still be a dream
instead of a display that we can open and show what she did and how she did
it! THANKS GUYS!!!! Come by and see how she looks. She will be staffed by
two Crew Members in flight uniforms complete with helmets, gloves and gear
to answer your questions. We will also have displays of period uniforms,
weapons and gear from the Vietnam War inside her cargo area. We will be
happy to answer your questions about that War.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 125 Members will have a living display
of items and uniforms from the War Between the States, (or as we call it
down here The War of Northern Aggression). We have a historian that is VERY
well versed in many areas of that war and he will gladly answer your
questions. Also we have several Members that go on the road teaching groups
about the War and what it was really about. Come and ask questions and see
what you can find out about that terrible time in our countries history.
There will be a lot to see and do with them!

We will have The South Carolina Rangers & Brigade of Friends who portray
Soldiers from the Revolutionary War in correct period uniform with gear,
weapons, tents, food and other items that will certainly be of high
interest. They will also be able to answer questions about that time in our
countries history. Their Group has some people that are very well versed on
that time period and it is exciting to talk to them about what happened and
how. There will be a lot to see and do with them also!

We will also have Members of our South Carolina National Guard and our State
Guard present with modern weapons and gear for you to see and ask about. We
are hoping that they will be able to bring some modern vehicles and
equipment that are the same type being used in Iraq and other hot spots in
the world today. The body armor, head gear and weapons that they use are
really awesome to see!

Antioch Volunteer Fire Rescue, Station Six, will have a Fire Truck with all
the equipment needed in today's environment to fight fires on display. The
Members accompanying the truck will be most happy to answer questions about
the Volunteer Fire/Rescue Service, how to join, qualifications required, and
the benefits of being a member. Now is your chance to find out about the
Fire Service. Ask all those questions that you've never had the chance to
ask and always wanted to know!

I'm certain that there are groups and people that I've forgotten but as I am
getting old please forgive me for the omission! If you want to be included
in our next email or if I need to make corrections, please contact me
through return email or by using the address listed below.

Best Regards,

Ed Kirkley, Chairman
UH-1H 764 Restoration Committee
American Legion Post 109