Re: NOS military radio antenna base MX-2799 AB-719/VRC on Ebay

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2006 - 17:57:52 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Jankowiak" <
recycler@swbell.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2006 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] NOS military radio antenna base MX-2799 AB-719/VRC on Ebay

> Kobs? We don't need no steenking knobs!
>
> Yeah there's no knob, but the SWR plot is <2 from 30 to 90 MHz.

Yeah. As compared to the MX-6707 which seems to always be 2+ even on Happy
Days. Supposedly the RT-524 can handle a continuous SWR of 4, but given the
price of finals I don't think I'd care to put it to the test!

I was actually going to leave a meter permanently hooked up in the line so I
could always tell when my MX-6707 decided to become a swimming pool, but
never got around to it. I've had lots broil. At least now I give the knob
a spin before doing anything with the radio, and make sure the servo cycles
with a flick of the RT-524's band switch. I guess I should be keeping a
cover on the 6707s when not in use, but I never remember to do stuff like
that when it counts.

(I had both mine fail in quick succession when I was on the way to San Jose
for the convention the one year, so I was out of comms for most of the trip.
Really annoying!)