Re: NOS military radio antenna base MX-2799 AB-719/VRC on Ebay

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2006 - 20:27:22 PDT

The final in that radio (and the RT246) is rated for 100W dissipation. On
low power, it can run indefinitely into any load. The radio is supposed to
run at 35W on High power. If the PA is tuned correctly (as set by someone
who knows how to work on those radios), it can handle poor antenna matches
very well. As a reference, the SWR roughly indicates how much of the
forward power is reflected (as reverse power) back from the antenna to the
final amplifier, and is therein dissipated as heat in the tube.

1:1 - zero
1.5:1 - 4%
2:1 - 11%
3:1 - 25%
4:1 -I don't remember but it's worse.

If the radio is putting out 35 watts, the tube is likely burning up 35
watts as heat to do that. (the total power into the tube is 70 watts) If
you have a 3:1 SWR, then 25% of that 35W gets reflected back into the tube,
adding 8.75 watts to the heat. Now the tube dissipates 43.75 watts. Almost
half of what it is rated for. -So it's not as bad as it looks but for 4:1 I
would leave it on low power.

If your radio has been "hot rodded" and is putting out 50 or 60 watts, then
the SWR best be kept below 2:1

The tube used in there, in reality a conduction-cooled UHF triode, is very
efficient at the low frequencies the radio is used at, the voltage on the
tube is lower (only 650V I think) than it can take, and the things are
really bulletproof. I think it's the CC version of the 2C39.

After all of this, though, I would add that if transmissions are kept very
short, the thing can run into any load.

Some people have drilled a weep hole in the bottom of the adjustable
section of the antenna to allow it to drain. Don't know how well that works.

Some experts on the list may correct me on these matters.

PJ