CUCV dies - Survival tip #1

From: Bruce C. Beattie (bruce@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2006 - 18:05:12 PDT

Hi All,
I was on my way out to work on my M54A2, and stopped for lunch. Got back
in started the engine,
it ran for about 5 seconds and died. Oh s...t. This is my daily driver
and there is no backup.

It turns out that the solenoid that acts as a kill control died or the
wiring to it died. I had had a problem with this
joker before, but that was just a matter of the screw rattling out of a
bracket, and I fixed that.

Tip#1-Always have some bailing wire in your glove box, and a pair of pliers.

I managed to wrap some wire around some parts and then over the slot in
the end of the solenoid
shaft and back to some other parts to keep the solenoid pushed in. Whew,
started right up.

Of course when I got home I had soldier B turn the key off at the
instant I released the solenoid.
I did this under the assumption that this solenoids function is to
prevent dieseling. Am I correct in
this, and is it important in a diesel engine? If I had just switched
the ignition off, would it have
killed the engine right away?

Thanks,
Bruce