Re: Need Trailer Plug for M35

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 07:38:42 PDT

>>I do have a question, is there a way to pull 12 volts
>>off of the trailer plug, to operate the electric
>>brakes on the trailer? The problem I have, is this
>>trailer needs to be pulled by another truck that has a
>>12 volt system in it. Any help would be appreciated.

On my M715 here is what I did. I ran an old hydraulically actuated Kelsey
Hayes brake controller. They sell add on dropping resistors that are
adjustable. I ran two of them in series with the brake controller and the
brakes and powered the whole thing off of 24V. Just measure the application
current on a 12V truck then adjust the current on the 24V truck to the same
current (Amps that is). You can also hook the controller into the brake
light circuit same as with a 12V truck. If you really want to be fancy,
there is a LED on the controller, you can change the resistor on it, roughly
double the value, and have that work also.

later,

je