Re: Runnaway diesel HMMWV

From: Lee Houde (houdel@carrinter.net)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 04:53:21 PDT

Another trick I used on my Civvy Diesel fulled sized Blazer - It
developed some sort of vacuum leak in the fuel injection system. After
sitting a few hours, fuel would drain out of the injector pump back into
the fuel tank. To start it, I'd have to crank the engine a few seconds
to build pressure in the fuel system, open the hood and crack the
bleeder valve on the fuel filter to get rid of the air, close the hood
and start the engine. Sometimes I had to do the crank and bleed a couple
of times before she would start. This got old real quick. Finally, I cut
the fuel line going into the filter, ran a length of 3/8" length of fuel
hose to a 3/8" ball valve tie-wrapped in the grill, and then ran another
length of 3/8" fuel hose back to the fuel filter. When I parked the
truck I'd close the ball valve which kept the fuel from draining back
into the tank. When I wanted to drive it, I'd open the ball valve and it
would start right up. It only cost me a couple of bucks for the parts
and less than an hour to put it all together. Solved my hard starting
problem, made a great anti theft device (the ball valve was hardly
noticeable and anyone who did see it would be pretty clueless as to its
function) and would be a quick way to shut off the engine if I did have
a runaway, which I never did. Worth doing if you are really worried
about your engine running away, and a lot cheaper & easier to use than a
CO2 extinguisher! -- Lee