Re: Help with my 1953 M38A1............

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@msn.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2006 - 05:09:01 PDT

Chris,

Many of the items that you are looking for are advertised in the Supply
Line Magazine. Vendors are around & they have everything you might need
for the M38A1. You have to pay attention since prices are quite varied.
Peter DeBella has good items.

I doubt you will need a new Distributor. (Available NEW for $175 - I just
bought one for my conversion back to 24 volt) The coil inside or Rotor
might be shot. Dirt in the Carb. Plugged Fuel Filter in the tank.
Timing.

Are you in a local club ??? How long have you had the M38A1 ???

Have you done a manual compression test lately ??? It could be Valves,
although rare.

It is more likely timing. The M38A1 has been known to jump timing on the
belt. Time consuming, but not too hard a job.

A motto for collectors is:
"Don't panic until you see how many zeros are on the estimate"

Tom McHugh, NJ
US Army (Ret)
52 Years in American Legion
NJ State Commander Korean War Veterans Association
1952 M38A1
M-416 Trailer
MVPA, MTA, Red Ball Transport