Re: fuel leak M35

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 09:12:19 PDT

At 11:50 AM -0400 4/13/06, Arthur Bloom wrote:
>Greetings, Green Collectors:
>
>In travelling back to home base in my new 1971 M35, I noticed that a large
>fuel leak from the injector pump area had developed. It was really a deluge
>of fuel. I turned off the accessory switch, so that the in-tank fuel pump
>would not run, and the leak was reduced a bit. I managed to get home, and
>ran out of fuel in the driveway.
>
>First I need to get a fuel oil truck into the driveway, and refill the tank.
>Then I will attempt to get the truck started. Is there something I need to
>do to prime a truck that has run out of fuel, or will the electric pump do
>that?

Having run mine out of fuel on a hill, I've done this sitting at a light in Roswell.

After you've got the leak fixed and fuel added to the tank, do the following:

1. Pop the hood and secure it as normal.
2. Turn on the accessory switch
3. Take an open end wrench and open the bleeder bolt on top of the secondary and final fuel filter head at the top. It's a double headed brass hex head fitting. The narrow part opens and has a hole that's an air vent.
4. after you open this, you'll hear air escaping, keep the wrench handy and you should be able to close it quickly before any significant quantity of fuel escapes.
5. give it a bit more time to finish pushing fuel through the system and it should crank up after a little bit of effort.

Fix your leak.
Dump x2 5 gallon can's of fuel in the tank (that should be good enough to get you to the fuel station that's not too expensive)

>Then I will need to see where the leak is. Will it be easier for the
>mechanic to work on it if I remove the heater from the inside left fender?

You should be able to diagnose which part is leaking, determine what it is from the TMs and go from there. If it's a fitting, no big deal. If its the fuel compensator, you can swap it out or bypass it. If it's the injection pump itself, you'll need to swap that. A truck mechanic shouldn't find anything odd with the truck safe the fuel compensator.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -