Re: 50 Cal bullets and Scope

From: Marty Galyean (marty@heavyreckoning.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2006 - 08:45:25 PDT

Alan Wise wrote:

>Rifle scopes is a large topic area. Tons of info is online. But in a
>nutshell, finding one that can withstand the forces of a .50 in critical.
>For the money, and quality, you will not beat a Tasco Super Sniper scope.
>These are rated for the .50 and used by pros. It is sold by Tasco but made
>by a specialty company in Japan. You can spend $3k on a scope, but for only
>$300, these cannot be beat. Sold in 10x, 16x, and 20x, you can read about
>them by doing a search.

10x fixed is a common military solution on .50 sniper rifles (less to go
wrong I suppose) but I found that my 14x variable worked well on my AR50
(sold, <sniff>). I can't remember the brand, but it was a cheapo, am
99.324% certain it was a BSA.

I thought all Tascos were made in the PRC, but could very well be wrong
on that.

Anyway, here are the kinds of scopes I had my eye on prior to sale of
the rifle (can't find the exact scope, probably old news now):

http://www.atncorp.com/DayOptics/RifleScopes/10x65Z-ArmyMil-Dot

http://www.atncorp.com/Product/214

FWIW, my AR50 kicked with a slow push, very much like a 12gauge slug.
The brake on those things is nothing short of *amazing*.

Marty