RE: Cummins NHC 250 / 855 CI diesel as in the M800 series of 5 tons

From: Hutterer, John (MPAU) (john.hutterer@smiths-medical.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 12:07:42 PDT

Dave,

I have an NHC 250 in my M816 wrecker. It has the glow plug and spray
nozzle arrangement. I was having trouble getting it to start. I figured
that it was because I didn't use it all that often. Had to use ether to
start it every time. One day, it wouldn't start at all. No way, no how.
It turned out that the fuel shut-off solenoid actuated valve had finally
quit on me. It could be by-passed by turning the little knurled knob on
it, but that was also how you had to shut the engine off, afterward. You
could look and see if your engine has this knob on the shut off
solenoid. If it does, try using it to bypass the solenoid first thing in
the morning. If the engine fires right up, your shut-off solenoid is
probably going bad. Worth a try, and easy too.

John