Re: Cummins NHC 250 / 855 CI diesel as in the M800 series of 5 tons

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 12:20:31 PDT

Well I'm cranking it off of only two batteries so perhaps that is a
problem. It is setup for 4 - 31C's I believe, all in parallel. This
truck does not have an additional fuel pump either. It must use the
suction pump built into the injector pump also. It is also drawing
through a fuel filter and a homebuilt fuel preheater that is prior to
the filter. To get it started I have to ether it lightly, and then pump
the pedal quite hard initially to keep the engine running at the first
start of the day. If I don't ether it - it will not quite catch and
fire - it just sort of stumbles. But once the rpms get up there - it
runs fine. The more I think about this, the more I think that perhaps I
should add a fuel pump to push the fuel through the fuel preheater and
filter. As you said I may also have a slight fuel line leak that is
allowing air to be sucked into the injector pump. There are a ton of
fitting between the dual tanks and the injector pump - so that would not
surprise me at all.

Do you know roughly what MPG you get with your truck?

Thanks,

Dave