Re: multifuel woes

From: Bill & Bonnie (bprestin@chartermi.net)
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 19:26:22 PDT

Rick,

     I installed a 5 ton engine in my deuce. If I had to do it again I would
pull the tranny along with the engine. It was a real pain to line back up
when I was reinstalling the engine. I'll send a couple of photos.

Here are some of the changes necessary to make the other engine work:

You don't need to change the oil pan. Just reverse it.

Take the oil pick up assembly off the 2 1/2 ton engine and put it on the 5
ton engine.

 Swap out the bell housing, flywheel, clutch, and starter (or just turn
around the end on the other starter)

 The flywheel only goes on one position as one of the bolts is spaced
farther out from the center than the rest. Cut the head off a bolt to screw
into one of the flywheel bolt holes to help align it when installing the
flywheel. This helps to hold the weight of the flywheel when putting it into
place.

 mount the oil dipstick tube on the other side of the engine

Remove the power steering pump or install a reservoir so it will continue to
pump fluid. You might find it useful later to run a winch, crane, or
hydraulic power steering.

The other turbo should work fine, just as long is it still connects up
easily to the exhaust system.

I also found that the deuce air intake works fine with the 5 ton engine. It
does not seem to restrict it too much.

I hope this helps. If I can be of further help let me know.

Bill
Michigan.