Re: Waste Vegtable Oil as Fuel

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 08:36:19 PDT

Biodiesel is usually mixed (cut) with kerosene or petro diesel to make it
useful WITHOUT heating to perhaps 10-15 degrees below freezing.
If it gets colder than say 15F, then the percentage of petro diesel will be
so high that it erases the advantages of using biodiesel.
The reason for my dual tank system is to be able to use up to 100% biodiesel
at ANY temperature.
Using the dual tank/fuel system in cold weather will make it necessary to
purge the lines and filters before shutting down and then start it again for
warm-up on regular diesel.
During my trip to Florida back in February, my fuel selector valves got
clogged by debris from the tank (old used tank and sophisticated pilot
operated valves) and I was not able to purge the biodiesel/veggi oil mix
from the lines. As a result, starting took several tries after a 35 degree
overnight shut down (Georgia). Even at Kenny's in South Florida with an
overnight temp in the 60's, starting was not instant as it normally is.

I'm now in the process of replacing the valves with dirt tolerant direct
acting solenoid ones.

Bjorn

/