Re: OT: Oil Viscosity Breakdown

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 12:59:05 PDT

Air cooled engines just run really hot. If your engine was knocking you
may have a rod bearing problem.

If you change the oil and put in some heavier oil, like 40W and it still
knocks, fix it before the rod comes out the side of the engine.

I say this from experience!

It should not knock even with thin oil. If you are going run an older
aircooled engine hard, 40 weight is a good idea. A lot of the older
engines were designed to be run on 30 or 40 weight oil anyway. 10-30 is
really too thin for many of them.

Dave