OT: Oil Viscosity Breakdown

From: Mark W (mnm3693234@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 09:32:47 PDT

This is slightly on topic, since all mil-veh have oil.

I was doing some sandblasting this weekend and my
compressor engine started knocking. It is a 10hp
kohler engine. I had changed the oil recently and it
wasn’t low. Even after the oil cooled down, it seems
very thin. I check the oil with the dipstick and when
I wipe in a rag, the oil seems to absorb in the cloth
very quickly, which seems to have the viscosity
equivalent to diesel oil. I had 10W-30 in it and
maybe I should have had straight 40W in it and maybe
the engine was running hot. Does anyone know if this
sounds like viscosity breakdown due to overheating? I
thought that viscosity breakdown affects how the oil
sticks to the metal, but when it is cool, it still
looks normal.

Thanks
Mark