Re: SEMANTICS: Bio Diesel Conversion]

From: Lee Houde (houdel@carrinter.net)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 04:22:31 PDT

OK, I've done a little homework here, and I would like to clear up a
confusing point. BioDiesel is NOT the same thing as WVO/VVO (Waste
Vegetable Oil/Virgin Vegetable Oil) fuel conversions.

WVO/VVO conversions use the UNALTERED WVO/VVO as a prime fuel source,
requiring only filtering of the WVO to remove solid contaminants.
WVO/VVO converted vehicles usually require a second fuel tank for the
WVO/VVO, with a heater in the fuel tank, heated fuel lines, and a heated
fuel filter in order to reduce the viscosity of the WVO/VVO to something
approaching the viscosity of Petro Diesel (the heat is usually provided
by the vehicle's coolant system). WVO/VVO converted vehicles (sometimes
known as "greasecars") usually must be started on Petro Diesel, switched
to the WVO/VVO when the engine and WVO/VVO have warmed up enough for the
fuel to be used, and then the fuel injection system must be purged with
Petro Diesel BEFORE shutting down, as the cold WVO/VVO is too viscous
(too thick) to properly pump and atomize in the engine on a cold start.

BioDiesel is WVO/VVO which has been chemically altered (a process called
"transesterification") using sodium or potassium methoxide (a mixture of
either sodium hydroxide, AKA lye, or potassium hydroxide, and methanol).
The methoxide acts as a catalyst to break down the large WVO/VVO
molecules into smaller molecules, resulting in a fuel with a viscosity
approaching, but not still as thin as, Petrol Diesel. Depending on the
ambient temperature the BioDiesel vehicle will be operating in,
BioDiesel can be mixed with Petro Diesel to further reduce the viscosity
(up to 100% BioDiesel in hot weather, down to a 50/50 mix of
BioDiesel/Petro Diesel in cold weather).

ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES:
Greasecars require about $1000-$1500 for the necessary conversion (2nd
fuel tank, heaters & filters, extra fuel lines and fuel line switches).
However, assuming the WVO can be obtained for free, there is no cost for
the fuel and filtering the WVO the only additional labor required. It
does require additional attention by the operator in switching fuels
during operation, and especially in remembering to thoroughly the purge
the fuel injection of WVO/VVO before engine shutdown. I'm not convinced
that the WVO/VVO fuel will be usable in very cold weather unless a LOT
of heat is available to the WVO/VVO system to keep the fuel properly
thinned out.

BioDiesel is not free. According to published articles, the chemicals
required to process the WVO/VVO into true BioDiesel costs about 40-60
cents per gallon of finished product. The equipment to convert WVO/VVO
to biodiesel costs about $200-$500 for a small scale system. A certain
amount of knowledge and attention are required during
transesterification. The transesterification process produces soap and
glycerin as byproducts which must be separated out and disposed of, and
the raw BioDiesel must be washed to provide a quality fuel, so the
process requires a fair amount of labor. However, BioDiesel is a
flexible fuel, does not require any fuel specific modification to the
vehicle, and only minimal attention by the operator to mix the BioDiesel
with an appropriate amount of Petro Diesel, depending on the ambient
temperature. However, BioDiesel is a superior fuel when compared to
Petro Diesel. The engine runs smoother and quieter, and emissions of
hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide and particulate matter are significantly
reduced. Quoted research also indicates improvement in engine longevity,
decrease in engine maintenance, and better performance, or so the sites
promoting home brewed BioDiesel claim. Because BioDiesel is a solvent by
nature, it also cleans the fuel system as it is being used (most people
using BioDiesel have to perform 1-2 fuel filter changes after soon after
switching to BioDiesel, due to add the extra crud cleaned out of the
fuel tanks and lines). I don't know that WVO/VVO provides the
performance, maintenance and longevity advantages claimed for BioDiesel.

So which is best, a greasecar conversion or home-brewed BioDiesel? I'd
say it depends on your particular operating conditions. If you live in a
warmer area and/or make longer trips, a greasecar conversion is a viable
option. If you live in a colder climate or make a lot of shorter trips,
where the warm up/purge cycles would require you to run on Petro Diesel
for a significant part of your trip, BioDiesel seems to make more sense.

Hope this dissertation helps more than it confuses! -- Lee