Re: SEMANTICS: Bio Diesel Conversion]

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 19:29:21 PDT

BioDiesel will burn in a heating system just fine
but remember it will clean the oil storage tank
so it will plug the fuel filter easily. Standard
fuel oil filters for heating systems use
basically looks like a ball of string. I changed
mine to a much more effective spin on fuel filter
assembly off a class 8 truck from a junkyard.
Just make sure when installing the new filter you
use pipe dope or pipe tape (antileaking stuff) on
the threads of the pipes before reassembly. Now
having swapped out the filter assembly you can
change out a filter when it gets plugged for
around $10 instead of paying a heating service
man BIG $$$$$$$$ for a cheap ball of string
filter the oil heating industry has been using
for over 80 years. A standard fuel filter of no
more than 10 microns is more than addequate and
far better filtering than the original "ball of
string".

  Oh yeah guys, the shutoff valve on home heating
tanks works on a spring...you screw the little
round handle down to open the valve and turn the
handle the other way until it is
loose....sometimes dirt and debris prevents the
vlave from seating properly so it might leak a
little. They were designed to work this way so in
the event of a fire the lead that froms the
threaded part of the operating handle melts and
closes the valve IE: fire protection.

Jim

--- Jim Webster <james.webster@iomartdsl.com>
wrote:

> I have to admit that I was just skimming this
> topic until this morning
> when I was passing the local fish'n'chip shop
> and just out of curiosity
> I asked the owner what he did with his old
> oil... turns out he pays
> someone to take it away (as usual) and dispose
> of it. Seems I can have
> as much as I want as long as I don't charge
> him...
>
> Looks like the running costs of that big
> russian diesel I have been
> dreaming off have suddenly dropped!
>
> I wonder if biodiesel is any good to burn in a

> heating boiler?
>
> --
> TTFN
> Jim
>

> 'Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum
> Europae vicendarum!'
>

> ===Mil-Veh is a member-supported mailing
> list===
> To unsubscribe, send e-mail to
> <mil-veh-off@mil-veh.org>
> Visit the searchable archives at