RE: M35 brakes

From: Hutterer, John (MPAU) (john.hutterer@smiths-medical.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 05:59:32 PDT

Patrick,

I have an M816 wrecker and was having similar problems. It was filled
with new silicone brake fluid, after I had replaced the master cylinder.
I thought that I had bled the brakes properly, with help from a friend
pushing on the pedal, but must not have been as thorough as I should
have been. I let the truck sit for several days, and then hooked up a
pressure bleeder to it. I connected a clear plastic hose to each bleeder
valve and watched the fluid as it came out. I was absolutely amazed at
how much air was still trapped in the system. It took me nearly a gallon
of fluid to bleed it completely out. A friend, who is a mechanic for the
Army Reserve, says that it is his standard practice to bleed the brakes

on a vehicle, let it sit over night, and bleed them again in the
morning. He invariably finds that there is still air trapped in the
system in the morning, and that it comes out with the second bleeding.
The brakes on my 5 ton work perfectly now.

John