Re: SEMANTICS: Bio Diesel Conversion - now heater use.

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 08:45:07 PDT

If you want to get a fuel for heater purposes, the best to get it used
crankcase oil or used hydraulic oil. I work with a shop that does
hydraulic system repairs. They accumulate a 55 gallon drum of old
hydraulic fluid about every 3 weeks. If I don't take it, they pay to
get rid of it. So I take my trailer by there and pickup a drum every
couple of visits. There are a couple of used motor oil burner designs
out there. They work well and you can't beat the price. In between
that source and the crankcase oil I generate, plus a few cords of wood I
get each year, I have plenty of ways to heat my shop for almost nothing
except a little time.

If I could only burn this same stuff in my M51 gasser, then I would be
all set! Propane is starting to look very attractive. And it doesn't
gell or go bad either like the crappy gas we pay through the nose for
now. I think that might be the way to go. This newer gas is nasty
stuff and it goes bad as soon as you look at it funny. The stuff is
quite unstable.

Dave