Re: Starter Saga III and counting

From: Bruce C. Beattie (bruce@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Sat May 06 2006 - 23:26:50 PDT

Hi Ed,
    Ok, this is the way I see it. You have taken your starter and
solenoid to the shop and
they have tested it, and it test good.
    You bring it home and install it.
    You hook it up directly to your batteries, and it won't even attempt
to start.
    You check voltages across your batteries and you get 24 volts.

If all of the above is true, my guess is that your batteries are bad.
The next test
to do is take your batteries in and have them load tested.

Even though the batteries show 24 volts, doesn't mean that they can
deliver any current.
If the internal resistance inside the battery is high, it can keep the
current from flowing.

The above explanation is over simplified but should be ok for this
application.

If for some reason they tell you that the batteries are ok, then take
the batteries and the starter/solenoid
back to the shop where they rebuilt the starter, and ask them to
demonstrate the
operation of the starter with your batteries in front of you.

If this works, then it means that the cables or the connections that you
used to check this out are the problem.

Good Luck,
Bruce MVPA 23824