Re: Starter Saga V & ??

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Tue May 09 2006 - 21:54:10 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed" <
mojoedd@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 8:54 PM
Subject: [MV] Starter Saga V & ??

> Tried to start the truck and it went
> ballistic at the starter again!!!! This time I was ready and pulled the
> starter relay BEFORE it burned anything. Tore up my bad back but saved
the
> truck!!

I've had lots of those relays weld themselves closed, and a few that went
open. Doesn't even raise an eyebrow now. I just cut the relay socket off
and wire in a really heavy-current, heavy-duty starter relay and have done
with it.

I've had the solenoids themselves weld up too after a decent arc. It just
happened to me on the way to Montana in the company M1008 we use for trailer
towing. First thing I did was pull the relay (automatic reaction nowadays!)

but the starter kept winding, so...battery disconnect time. I carry a spare
starter and a couple of starter bolts with me on long trips, so about half
an hour later I was ready to go again.

(We should have that as a competitive event at the next MVPA
convention..."CUCV Starter Change Olympics". You're given a truck with the
engine spinning over on the starter with the key turned off, and you have to
pull the relay, disconnect the batteries and change the starter - and do it
all quickly enough that you have enough battery left to start the beast from
cold after the starter's been swapped. Those who don't finish in the Top
Three get to come back while the rest of us are in the beer garden and spend
an hour or two swapping out the gnawed flex-plate. ;)